How to Fix Panel Communication Failure on the Simon XT Panel
This means your system is not communicating with our Central Station and we won’t receive signals for any alarm activity until communication is restored.
Below are possible causes as to why your system is showing a communication failure, as well as some tips on fixing the cause.
If you have recently changed your Wi-Fi name or password, or have replaced your router, you will need to update your Wi-Fi information .
- Make sure your alarm system has power. If you are experiencing a prolonged power outage, the system will come back up when power is restored.
- If your power has recently been out, the panel battery may be too weak to allow your cell to send signals. Allow 24 hours to recharge the battery.
- Make sure your plug is connected securely to its outlet.
- Make sure the outlet is supplying power – you can check this by plugging something else into this outlet to see if it’s receiving power.
If there is an interruption of cell service in your area, your system’s communication could be impacted temporarily. Ensure that your Wi-Fi is connected as a backup in this event.
- Large metal objects and appliances that generate radio frequency can interfere with signaling. If you identify these objects around your alarm system, try increasing their distance from your system if it’s safe to do so.
- It’s best if your system is located near an exterior wall, above ground (not in a basement), and not in the middle of a large structure (like an interior closet far from exterior walls).
If your communication failure is caused by a system malfunction, you can try to power cycle the system:
- Completely power down the panel and the module.
- Wait 2 minutes, then power the panel back up.
- Test your system to confirm whether communication has been restored. Remember to place the system on a test to avoid a false alarm.
- Phone service outage in your area.
- You have disconnected your home phone service.
- You have switched to a new provider.
- VoIP and Digital Voice Over Cable may not be compatible with your security system. You may need to switch to a different phone service or call us to upgrade to cell communication. With cell communication, you get access to remote arming and disarming from your phone. You also open the door to transforming your home with smart automation devices like remote cameras, thermostats, lights, and door locks.
- Your new provider may not have connected your phone line to your system.
1. Remove AC power from the device.
2. Remove the top screw, then press the two tabs to open the front cover.
3. Flip the front cover down to access the battery clips.
4. Apply pressure to spread the battery clips, then disconnect and remove the battery.
5. Wait for approximately 10 minutes, then return the battery ensuring the red terminal connects to the red wire and the black terminal connects to the black wire.
6. Flip the front cover up to close the panel. Return the top screw to secure the cover into place, then return AC power to the device.